Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Job insecurity

Tia has some good comments in her blog entry from Monday. She echoes some of my sentiments from last week. I think the reason I am having so much trouble lately is that I've NEVER had to deal with so many things going "wrong" before. Not that I was able to make things go right, but nothing much "bad" really ever happened before. It's just been a crazy year or so. Both dogs died, I had a crazy tenant, a home invasion, my house is a construction zone, my family STILL ignores me, close friendships have changed dramatically and I got "reprimanded" for reporting unprofessional activity at work, while the person who DID the activity got public accolades for being so wonderful.

Truth be told, the work situation is really what it is all about....I got "in trouble" for trying to do the right thing. And now I'm realizing that no matter how hard I work, neither what I do nor what I value most (ethics, character) is valued by those above me. I'm beginning to understand that my values and my employer's values DO NOT line up. Since I have spent 18 years in this profession developing my philosophies on "why I do what I do," it is a huge part of who I am. When you constantly feel like you aren't appreciated for who you are (let alone for what you do) then you start to question why you even bother?

So I guess I have to really decide: do I just put up with it and make my career "just a job" or do I try to find a new job that will value what I value? The bigger question is, is God trying to tell me something?

1 comment:

TiaMiami said...

Wow! There's a lot of wisdom there Bing. I'll be praying that if God is trying to tell you something that you'll be able to discern what that is and have the willingness to do whatever he asks.