Sunday, July 27, 2008

Peace that passes all understanding

I'm in Orlando for the weekend. I'm visiting someone who is in his final days of a 4 year battle with brain cancer. His faith has been an example to all of his friends, and yet everyone is struggling to grasp it all. As awesome as God is, we all want to know why Dave has to go, leaving a wife and 4 year old daughter.

I visited his church this morning (my "church away from home") and his pastor spoke of Dave's story during the message. He equated it with Moses and the burning bush. He said that since the bush didn't burn in a way that it normally should, it caused Moses to really take notice and look more closely at the situation. God was in that bush. In the same way, he said that in Dave's situation, God is there and it's causing us all to look more closely rather than just walk away.

He also reminded us that God is in the flame, not the vessel. It was a burning bush, not a mighty oak or a redwood tree. He will use us no matter how big or small we are.

I'm getting a slap of perspective this week. It's painful, but I get it.

No comments: