Sunday, August 03, 2008

REAL family time

I came back from Orlando late Tuesday as I had lessons to teach on Wednesday. As of this morning, Dave is still with us. He had a "rally" day on Tuesday, up and out of his bed, in a wheelchair, eating cheetohs and singing with friends. Now I guess he is sleeping more and more. I pray that he's not in any pain and that he slips away quietly surrounded by family and friends.

While I was up there, I spent an evening with Songbird's parents. They have an empty nest while she is in Santa Fe singing with the opera. Her brother recently re-enlisted, so they enjoyed having a "youngster" in the house. We went to dinner, then sat home and talked about life and everything - something that my own family doesn't do easily. The next morning, we had breakfast and watched some tv. We all laughed when Sesame Street came on and for once, her dad didn't channel surf. We watched in non-stop. It's been a long time since I'd seen it, but it's hipper than I remember. Then we balanced things out by watching Jerry Springer and Price is Right (channel flipping, of course. They were on at the same time.)

I felt home!

No comments: