Sunday, October 11, 2009

Just good manners

I was discussing with a friend the other day about the me-centeredness of our younger generation. I'm sure that is a common them of EVERY older generation but some of the things that I see 20-somethings doing today are things I would have never DREAMED of doing when I was that age.

Case #1: My most recent cabana dwellers were really respectful of the fact that they were living in my house. They did use my kitchen but it was always clean. She apologize a few times for arguing loudly and hoped I wasn't disturbed by it, but the truth is I never heard a thing. Once they gave me a gift of an extra $100 rent because they were grateful for being able to stay in a place that was so inexpensive, giving them an opportunity to catch up on some bills.

Why is it, then, that a full 3 months after they moved out, the majority of their belongings are still here? They packed up their car and said he was going to come back and get the rest of the small stuff and they were going to try and sell the furniture on Craig's List. I've been calling for a month now and I'm still getting the "We're working on it" message. I was supposed to have someone move in there THIS WEEK and was asked "Well - does HE want to buy our furniture?" Even if he DID, there is still the matter of your clothes, books, cds and various other personal effects. Then came, "Well - maybe you could just ship that to us." I know the intent was to reimburse me for the shipping, but I don't have that kind of time. It involves packing up boxes of stuff and then hauling it to UPS. The suggestion was to have UPS do a pick-up but I had to remind that I work all day and can't sit at home waiting for a UPS truck.

I'm giving them another week to give me a definitive time frame, then it's off to Goodwill with the whole kit and kaboodle.

Case #2 - I received an e-mail that said there was a young man desperately looking for a new living situation. yada yada yada......I offered the cabana (the person who WAS going to take it this month no longer needs to) and we spoke on the phone Tuesday. He said he was going to come by Wednesday between 6-7 PM to look at it. No show. No call. I know I'm a complete stranger, but when a complete stranger offers to help you out of a bind, then you could at least call and say, "Thanks. I no longer need it."

It's just good manners.

No comments: