Sunday, October 04, 2009

Who's training whom?

Dog training update:
I'm back to ignoring the dogs. I played with them this week and gave them undeserved, unearned attention. Now they are taking me for granted so I have to ignore them other than walks, food and commands. My own fault; I take full responsibility. I just needed some doggie love too.

After church, I took Queso over to a new doggie park. The rule was that he needed to sit on command before he could go in; he didn't. We stood at the gate, I said "Sit!" He backed up and looked at me as if to say, "WHAAAAT?" I counted to 10 and then made him leave. We'll try again tomorrow.

Guava's homework was to go to an outdoor seating area (we chose Starbucks) and "sit/down/stay" for 30 minutes. She got up at 10 and it was a struggle to get her down and start over. Then she made it to 20 before she was distracted and got up. Then 25 minutes into the 3rd try, a man walking by wanted to pet her. She stayed down. He tried to get her to jump up and I had to tell him not to, but it didn't matter; she stayed down. For 30 minutes! Tomorrow we have to work on "Heel" again.

I sure hope they pass their tests in 3 weeks!

1 comment:

Suz said...

Yey Guava! Queso- you can do it. Cathi- humans need love too. I hear you.