Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weddings and such

I just got a call from my youngest sister. She and her boyfriend just got engaged. I knew it was coming because she called me last week to ask if I would consider getting ordained in Illinois and perform the ceremony for them. I told her I couldn't and I know she was disappointed.

It's not that I don't value their relationship. She's had quite a rough time finding that perfect match for her. She never fails to mention this will be her THIRD marriage, but really, I think this is the first "adult" relationship she's had. I think in the first two she was just trying to find something stable to grab on to in order to keep from falling in a pit. When your whole world is unstable, even a wobbly railing feels better than the edge of a cliff. Been there, done that myself. Since then, she's made an incredible journey and I really think this guy is going to be a safe, guiding force for her.

I told her that I can't do it because I really respect those who feel "called by God" to be in a position to perform such an important event. I know they go through incredible amounts of time and energy to be able to bring His glory into such an event. She sees it as just a ceremony and a piece of paper. I see it as so much more. I don't feel qualified.

No comments: