Monday, January 29, 2007

Mile by Mile

Random thoughts about the race:

Main point of panic and concern: Would I miss the 6:10 AM start time? I had to get up at 4 AM and walk 6 blocks to the Metrorail station. There was ONE train scheduled to leave Dadeland at 4:30 and hitting every stop along the way. If you missed it, you wouldn't make the start; by that time it would be too late to drive into downtown, find a place to park and make it to the starting line. I made it, and even met a new friend. Sheila lives a few blocks from me and we stuck together, as it was our first ever race.

Starting line: At 6 AM, it was raining. I mean, RAINING. I MEAN - Tropical Storm Ernesto had NOTHING on the rain that fell yesterday morning at 6 AM as we were all waiting in the "cattle chutes" for the start. I even yelled out, "I didn't sign up for a triathalon; please don't make me swim to the start!" It broke some of the tension for some of the 12,000 people who happened to be in earshot.

Once we started, the thought of "I can't believe I'm actually doing this" hit me. There were SO many people and it was still SO dark that you really didn't get a sense of things. The first mile was up the Macarthur Causeway to Miami Beach, so you could see all of the cruise ships lit up and in port. At the end of the first mile, I felt a little winded, then realized I was pushing a 12 minute pace; a little faster than what I was used to. I knew if I didn't pull back, I'd be in trouble.

Sheila and I were having a great time, running 5/1 minute sets and talking during the walks. I actually saw some of my training group and some of my students and their parents along the way. Running down Ocean Drive and through the Deco District was awesome. The Miami Beach HS Band drumline was out playing some rocking cadences around mile 6. I told them I was writing a letter to their principal - it was SO cool that they were out so early on a Sunday morning!

I ran with my fuel belt and stayed really hydrated. SO hydrated that I did need a pit stop by mile 7. Due to the line, that stop took about 5 minutes, which was JUST enough time to get a little stiff. I had trouble getting my pace back after that, and by mile 8, Sheila had jumped ahead a bit and we lost each other. I wasn't worried as I love to run alone, but was sad that we hadn't had a chance to exchange phone numbers yet. I figured we'd catch up later, though.

By mile 9, my right knee was a little sore. One spectator had a sign that said "Pain is weakness leaving the body." I told her mine had set up camp and refused to go. She laughed; I laughed; I kept going.

Mile 10 was when I really started watching my intervals. I started getting really sore and tired and began thinking, "I'll run 1 more set, then maybe walk the rest." I knew that no matter what, I could probably run 5 more minutes. Amazingly, at the end of the 1 minute walk, I would think, "OK, just ONE more."

By mile 12, I knew I was going to make it, even if I had to walk or crawl. Spectators were saying "just one more turn to the right, and then you round the corner and then you're there!." As I got back to Biscayne Blvd, I was actually running parallel to the home stretch and was euphoric. But then I found it was a FAKE OUT! I had to take a right and go around a few more blocks before ending up in that home stretch.

I did actually walk most of the very last set, once I realized I was going to come in over 3 hours. If I'd had a chance of crossing in less than 3 hours, I would have pushed just a little more, but I saw the clock as I passed the Finish line before the fake out.

Once I finally turned into the home stretch, though, I picked it back up. Lots people were there cheering and seeing our school cross country coach on the sidelines saying "Great job!" almost made me sprint to the finish. I say almost because my legs would have nothing of the sort. Sheila was even there waiting for me - she'd finished about 20 minutes earlier!

Then I was across the line. There were people handing me a medal, food and water, saying "Congratulations!". That's when I realized it: I DID IT! At that moment, I was pondering whether I would ever want to do this again.

I started looking for the next race today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great accomplishment! It's so cool that Sheila was there waiting for you at the finish line.
I love it!

Martha