Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Easy Money!

Since spring is here, the hormonal adolescents I work with seem to be having trouble controlling their impulsivity. Not in the way you imagine however. Instead, it's mostly the 7th grade boys pounding on each other. This is my 3rd year as their Dean, and I am finally getting the hang of the usual pattern: Boy A teases Boy B. B teases A louder. A pushes B. B pushes A harder. This pattern continues until either an adult intervenes OR someone gets hurt. The cycle is considered a complete success if someone is actually transported to a medical facility, usually by a vehicle with lights and sirens.

The school has decided that preemptive measures are in order and are paying for adults to supervise the parking lot area where students are picked up after school. I get to sit outside for 2 1/2 hours a day, 3 days a week for $20 an hour. I can do whatever I want while I sit - read, surf the Internet, write e-mails, even blog! With a laptop and the wireless network, it's better than Starbucks!

I LOVE my 7th graders!

No comments: