Monday, October 13, 2008

Jesus on the Beach

My church had a 15th anniversary celebration yesterday. It's situated right in the heart of South Beach, probably one of the most "unchurched" areas of Miami, which is the 2nd most "unchurched" city in America.

We met at the Lincoln Theatre, where the New World Symphony performs. It holds about 700 people and was PACKED. It was amazing to feel the spirit at work.

I ponder what Pastor Robert said about people who have trouble being Christians in their day to day life, about having to "put their faith on" in the secular world. His response was "Don't put it on. Just don't take it off!" So true, so true.

We had a guest pastor actually teach. Robert wanted this event to be an evangelical outreach and he felt Pastor Pedro is a much more gifted speaker and would be more effective at harvesting what the church has planted. (I have to admire Robert for being able to hand over the microphone at such a time; his humility is a great model.) Pedro brought the house down while talking about the troubled times we live in and the uncertainty of our country's financial future. His response - "Jesus is my bailout plan." What an awesome statement!

Robert sent an e-mail today and there was one section that I thought summed it up:
"It was also a special night because of all the family who returned to celebrate the milestone with us! ..............But one of the real highlights for me was to see Bob. Bob was homeless when we met him 14 years ago on Lincoln Road. God moved radically in his life here at CCMB and for the past 10+ years Bob has been living in Ft. Lauderdale with his wife in the house they bought together, and attending CC Ft. Lauderdale.

Bob is a reminder that, as you've all heard me say before, Jesus would gladly spend my entire (and yours) life to rescue one man from eternal separation from God. If it cost me everything and took all my days and all my strength in order for Bob to be rescued from the wrath to come, Jesus would have considered that "wise stewardship of His resources". Thanks for coming last night Bob."

Robert used that same comment that "Jesus would spend my life to rescue you." in a sermon a few months ago, and that stuck with me. My life is not my own to spend. Jesus is spending it for me.

How awesome is that!

No comments: