Monday, July 20, 2009

Home from "camp"

It's been a solid month since I posted that last "heated" message. (I DID put in the profanity alert, so if you were shocked....you don't know me as well as you thought. Sorry!)

Adult Band Camp turned out to be one of the BEST summers ever. I DID get to follow through with some podium time. Being left off of the schedule was an oversight based on incorrect information from a conversation a year ago. What I SAID was not what was heard or remembered. Thus my frustration. In any case, I did get to be seen as a real band director on the podium, not just the "administrator type" who has to constantly remind people about attendance stickers, money and generally icky topics. It made me feel almost human again.

Then I actually got to play my horn in the band for the first time in MANY summers. The first week concert was INCREDIBLE: the conductors and guest artists were amazing and the musical selections were quite emotional. I also got to take the In-Between days off this year, which was convenient. I slept 14 hours off and on the day after the concert due to emotional and physical exhaustion!

I did stay and work the 3rd, short session as always. I actually enjoy staying on when everyone else goes home as I can get some of my own work done (programming for the school year, getting my thoughts together on how to use what I've learned) AND I get a better chance at getting to know some of the students. The class is MUCH smaller and thus more interactive. It's usually a highlight of my summer. This year was definitely a plus, as the clinician was fantastic. I left there inspired to come back to school.

Unfortunately, school doesn't start for another 3 weeks. My motivation is waning!

No comments: