Friday, December 22, 2006

The Whirlwind Tour/Bad Travel Mojo

So I started my annual Christmas break tour. Some of my close friends laugh at the fact that I log more flights in the 2 week break from school than most of them do in an entire year. Of course, my married friends all say "You know, you can do that because you're single. If you were married and had a family, you wouldn't be able to." No freakin' kidding! And I'd trade it in a heartbeat if I could only find the right person. But I can't, so "stop hatin' and start celebratin' " That's what I'M sayin!

Anyway, this jaunt did NOT start well. The bad travel mojo is in high gear. My flight from Miami to Chicago was 4 hours late and then some lady fell getting off the train to downtown and we had to wait for someone to come and help her out. I missed a short meeting in Chicago AND the annual OPEN BAR at the convention hotel watering hole. DANG! (about the bar, NOT the meeting)

This year the convention is falling WAY too close to Christmas and it's very subdued. So much for 14,000 drunk band directors running around downtown. This year it's more like 100 or so mildly intoxicated ones. Which is probably a good thing. Makes it easier for me to behave. This place can be QUITE the hook-up if you are so connected AND inclined. I'm quite connected but not inclined. I actually called a friend of mine a "man whore" tonight because he was batting in my direction (he didn't make contact, so I don't call it hitting") while telling me of the previous night's escapades with woman from Denmark. He even had some of those cheesy photos booth pictures as proof.

Sorry, buddy....I'm not into "sloppy seconds". Better luck next year.

No comments: