Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Music for the soul

It's a stressful month in general, every March is. The community band had a concert last night. I'm playing trumpet (NOT my main axe) and although everything was great, the horn parts were better. Still, Colonel Gabriel conducted so the experience was awe inspiring.

The band is having a chamber music concert in April, so I signed up (big commitment) and today finally pulled out the horn and music to see what I could pull together in a month.

I ran through bits and pieces of Mozart, Beethoven, Ravel and Saint-Saens, but I always seem to come back to the Strauss. Maybe it's the one I spent the most time on in college but there's just so much to that first movement. As I worked through it, something happened. I played the big, bold, powerful ending statement and I could barely hold back tears....I needed that release!

I miss passion.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Can't wait to catch it again in April. :) I hear you about the release and passion...I haven't sung in forever!