Sunday, March 22, 2009

Prayers answered

James 4:2-3 "You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives...."

The commentary in my NIV Study Bible asks "Does God answer prayers if our motives aren't pure?" and goes on to say "There will always be some selfish elements in our prayers. In spite of this, God graciously hears us and answers us when we pray. But if our requests center on ourselves, rather than on God's purposes, God refuses to hear and answer. If he granted such requests, his integrity would be compromised and we would not benefit spiritually."

Remember this? Well, yes indeed it's true. I found out a few weeks ago that my brother and his wife have been trying very hard to get pregnant. Now, the REST of my family isn't really speaking to my brother. I've heard both sides and frankly don't care. Their problem isn't my problem. So in chatting with my sister-in-law about their latest fertility treatment, I told her I would add them to my morning prayer list. And I have prayed every morning. My motive was to bond their new young family and hopefully bridge together my own.

Guess who's pregnant?!

2 comments:

Sara said...

So happy for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suz said...

Woohoo!!