Monday, August 04, 2008

Conservative Judaism

I had lunch with my Jewish mother today. (because even Christians need one.) We used to work together and now she lives in Vegas. She told me a tale from her synagogue that had me in hysterics, although she was more confused than amused.

She teaches at the synagogue and helps with their drama department. For Purim this year, she prepared a little play with her kids but was upstaged by the Neil Diamond impersonator that they hired to sing "They're coming to America." Then she told me about the Mexican rabbi there. I promised I would not use his real name, but suffice it to say that it was something very similar to "Fernando Goodstein." She goes to the Torah class that he teaches and she was surprised when he left out parts pertaining to homosexuality. While she does this herself because she's a Reformed Jew (which means she chooses what to believe), she questioned why a Conservative Jew would do the same. He said that as long as both partners are Jewish, keep Kosher and honor the Sabbath, it's ok.

I chuckled to myself. I wanted to ask if it was ok to murder or steal if you keep Kosher and don't do it on the Sabbath.

I LOVE liberal logic!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Indeed, it is sad when people let their morality dictate their theology. It should be the other way around.

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
-Matthew 7:21-23