Monday, July 17, 2006

Christian Freak or Freakin' Christian?

I got a call from Martha yesterday. Those of you who know me know Rob and Martha, of the baby store fame. Just to give you a little background; through them, I discovered that there is a price for salvation. I won't give you the dollar amount but the story is amusing and inspiring. The VERY short version: the store was in trouble, I helped them financially and told them I would pray for them but told them God hears better when you go to the altar yourself. The ending? The baby store is gone, but their relationship with the Lord is strong and growing.

So here is Martha's story from yesterday; again - short version for all of you with ADD. She was driving along the Edens Expressway in Chicago and saw 2 white school busses stranded on the side of the road with sailors milling about. Her first thought was "I wonder if they need a ride?" When she realized there were 40 of them and her car seats 4 (I didn't say she was necessarily the QUICKEST at thinking things through) she thought about how hot it was and went to a grocery store, buying water and granola bars. She then found her way right back to the busses and as she pulled up shouted, "Who prayed for water?" As they cheered and thanked her, they asked her if they could repay her. Her response was "Don't worry about that. Just know that God answers prayer."

She said she had to call me and tell me, since a few years ago, she never would have used the words "God" and "prayer" in any conversation, let alone as an encouragement to others. She said I've turned her in to a Christian Freak. Well, she couldn't decide between that or Freakin' Christian. Either way, I'm happy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I actually made it onto your blog. All because of seamen on the side of the road;)

Anonymous said...

Huh, huh she said "seamen".

Bing said...

HEY! don't turn my blog into a nasty site!