Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School/Meet the Parents

Tonight is "Back to School" night. I get to meet all of the creators of the darling students that I see every day. I hate talking in front of the parents, but you have to, for 10 minutes per class. If you don't fill the 10 minutes, they ask questions. Sometimes, they come in with a chip on their shoulder, and then the questions can become a little nasty. So instead, you talk for 10 minutes straight. Blah, blah, blah....the truth is that everything is on our website, so if you can read, please do so!

My favorite thing to tell the beginning parents is "PLEASE don't react negatively when you hear them practice their first notes so enthusiastically. My family complained the first time I brought my horn home, and I never brought it home again." Plus I remind them that they only have ONE beginner to listen to; I have a whole class full!

Of course, they are all a little on edge, because the kids learned their first note on Monday, and we were off Tuesday and Wednesday because of Ernesto. I also requested that the kids NOT leave their instruments here during the storm in case of damage to the room. Needless to say, the kids ALL practiced hard for two days. On that first note. And a few that haven't learned yet. And even a few that don't exist!

No comments: