Monday, August 14, 2006

School Zone: Drive Slowly

Get those pencils sharpened, kiddies. School is back in session. I'm SO ready. The last three weeks with nothing in particular to do got to be a bit much and my ritalin supply was low. The best part is catching up with friends and seeing how much the students grew over the summer. Today I got to see my returning 8th graders, which was VERY fun. They were extremely rowdy, but we only had a 10 minute orientation so I let it pass. They were just excited to see each other again. The faculty was just as bad at the opening meetings last weekend. Everyone will settle into a routine by next week.

I don't plan on reporting EVERY last thing that happens with my darling cherubs, but there was one "blog worthy" moment today. As the 7th grade Dean, I deal with discipline issues. To avoid embarrasing students too much, when I call them by name in assembly because I need to speak to them, I just say "Please meet me by the piano in the lobby for lessons." Today in class, I asked the students to write if they were taking piano lessons and if so, for how long. They busted out laughing. It took me a second, but when I realized what they were thinking, I had to crack up as well.

Ok, so I guess you had to be there.

No comments: