Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It's never boring!

Life in South Florida is unlike anywhere else. Tuesday, I was driving down Calle Ocho (that's 8th Street, for all you gringos) and noticed that there was a CONSIDERABLE buzz outside of Versailles, which is a popular Cuban restaurant. The police were out, the protestors were out and of course, the live video feed news trucks were out. I guessed that something must be going on. Then I got to Home Depot (which is reported to be THE busiest one in the country) and it was EMPTY. Now I KNEW that something was going on. But, since I have NO TV and no Internet at home, I forgot all about it.

Later that day, I saw the headline. Remember the old picture of the "Dewey beats Truman" headline? Remember how big the font was on that infamous headline? You know how in newspaper terms, they always say to put the most important news ABOVE the fold of the front page? Well, they did. In the BIGGEST font size possible, just so you wouldn't miss it. In ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, like they were shouting at you, in case you couldn't read. Like we always talk louder to people who don't speak English, like it will help.

"CASTRO CEDES POWER"

Funny thing is, we may have a visit from Tropical Storm, er perhaps Hurricane, Chris this weekend. That was buried somewhere around page 12. I think I'll go stock up on supplies now, while the stores are empty. Everyone else is at Versailles, hoping Fidel dies.

Viva Cuba Libre!

No comments: